Vienna Independent Shorts
Type: Dedicated shortfilm festival
Location: Vienna, Austria
Start Month: May
VIS Vienna Independent Shorts is Austria’s biggest international festival for short film, animation and music video and one of the most daring, challenging and free-spirited activities for the short form in Europe. The festival is eager to try out new ways of presenting films with a maximum length of 30 minutes, to connect the new and old in a lively way and to capture experiences in and outside of the cinema.
The festival presents films in five competition sections as well as Spotlights, Retrospectives, Special Programs, and Expanded Cinema. With its Vienna Shorts Agency â€“ founded in 2014 â€“ the festival continues and enhances the promotion of short films year round.
“Viennaâ€™s international short film festival has gained an excellent reputation within just a couple of years. That seems to involve the strategy of imagining only the biggest for the apparently smallest.â€ Stefan Grissemann, film critic
The competitions consist of short films with a maximum length of 30 minutes. The films can be submitted via reelport.com between the end of October and the beginning of January in the following categories:
– Fiction & Documentary (international fiction films, documentaries and narrative animation)
– Animation Avantgarde (international experimental films, non narrative animation)
– Austrian Competition (films with Austria as country of production and/or films by Austrian filmmakers)
– Music Video Competition (national and international music videos of all kinds)
– TrÃ©s Chic (national and international films with absurd or peculiar humour)
Submission Deadline: January
There are no submission fees.
Awards / Prizes:
Each competition has its own jury and awards. The main awards are endowed with 5.000 Euro, 4.000 Euro and 2.000 Euro. The awards include a total prize money of more than 20.000 Euros.